photo credit: Chantal Vanderlaan
Today is Day 2 of the gratitude challenge. My goddess, did the momentum of the morning begin with a bit of a rough patch! Long story short, my son is NOT what you would call a morning person. Whether I wake him up an hour before the bus arrives or two or a half hour before, it doesn’t matter. He’s a bear in the morning if you wake him up. Let him wake up on his own, no worries there. If you wake him up early or when he doesn’t want to be woken up, that little boy has the fierceness of an adult lion.
After our usual morning routine of my having to tell him about twenty times to get ready, another twenty times to brush his teeth, thirty or so to eat his breakfast–he was finally off to school and now this mom can finally breathe a little easier.
My daughter is still sleeping but even if she wakes up, I’ll still have time for gratitude and meditation. She’s my little zen baby. Vegetarian by her own choice. (I’m being so serious! This kid won’t even look at a hamburger, any type of pork meat except bacon, or even chicken but she absolutely loves her fruit and veggies.) She’s been doing yoga on her own since before she could walk and now she’s fascinated with crystals and loves to snuggle up to me when I’m meditating. She’ll sit right in my lap and close her eyes and smile for a few moments, then she’s on the move again!
Last summer after I was Reiki Level I certified, I would use the healing energy to help my overactive daughter fall asleep easier. On the nights that I didn’t place my hand over her for Reiki, she would pick up my hand and place it over her ear until she fell to sleep. This summer, since I’ve become Reiki Level II certified, my daughter can’t seem to get enough of the Reiki energy! I’m proud that she’s so open and receptive to some of the metaphysical practices I follow. While some people think of it as a whole bunch of “hooey”, I’m not one of them. My spirituality has gotten me through this cancer journey so far.
Anyhow, without further adieu, my gratitude list for today:
1) Today I am thankful for having patience…lots and lots…and lots…of patience. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
2) I am thankful for being right here, right now. A moment of absolute tranquility, while everyone else sleeps–I’m the only one in this moment…besides my dog who patiently waits for me to finish typing this 🙂 Thank you, thank you, thank you!
3) I am so incredibly thankful for the conversations my daughter and I have every night before bed. About her day, her imaginary friends, and the stories we read together as a family. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
4) I’m thankful that I’ve gotten to be present for the major (and minor) milestones of my children’s lives so far. Thankful to be there for every birthday, every holiday, their first steps, first words, first days of school, thankful to be given a second chance at life to be a part of all these beautiful memories as they continue to unfold. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
5) I am very very thankful for breakfast. I’ve got a rumbly in my tumbly and I’m so thankful that we have healthy, organic food in our home to nourish my restless belly and the bottomless pits that belong to my kiddos. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Time for meditation 🙂